Living in Centralia, IL can be very rewarding. You love your home and want to do everything you can to protect it. For this reason, you want to make sure that you have affordable home insurance in place. Various DIY home projects can be done to help you accomplish this.
At Alcorn Insurance Agency, we recommend for homeowners to have a roofing inspection and conduct roofing repairs throughout the year. This way, if there is a rainstorm or snowstorm that impacts your roof, it is in better condition. Otherwise, you could end up with extensive damage that could lead to having to file a home insurance claim and spending money out-of-pocket.
There are various window repairs can be performed to keep energy bills in check and water from entering the home. This includes replacing older glass panes and caulking around the frame.
Landscaping is another way to save on your insurance. If you keep the path leading up to your home free of debris, there is a reduced chance of someone falling. This saves you from a liability claim of someone injuring themselves on your property.
Security System Installation
Various security systems are available on the market. Some include video surveillance cameras, mobile apps, and more. You can install the system and then have a company monitor it for any activity. This reduces the likelihood of experiencing an actual break-in, which can save you on home insurance.
A fence the ability to save you a lot of money. Whether you decide to go with chain-link, aluminum, PVC, or anything else, it adds a barrier around your property.
You need to ensure you have financial protection in place on your home in Centralia, IL. There is no reason for you to spend a fortune on home insurance. Contact Alcorn Insurance Agency to learn more about obtaining affordable insurance and get quotes multiple companies today.
You’ve put a lot of time and effort into keeping your home clean and well protected but did you know that you could be making some mistakes in Centralia, IL that could lead to water damage later? Before you make some costly mistakes that could haunt you later, be sure to use these tips from Alcorn Insurance Agency today.
- Be sure to keep a close eye on your water bill. You should already know what a normal water bill looks like for you but if you notice an increase and you have not actually used more water than normal, then you have cause for concern. This could mean that there is a small leak somewhere and you will want to get it inspected before it becomes an even larger leak.
- Be aware of where you plant your trees and other foliage. While this is not something that can cause a water leak immediately, if you plant something in an area close to underground pipes, it will one day be an issue. Make sure you do not plant anything close to underground pipes because they will not move when roots reach them and it will cause a huge water issue that can be costly. Avoid this if possible and be careful of where you plant things.
Other than using these tips and thinking ahead on any actions for your home, you also need to have a great home insurance policy in place so you can protect yourself in case water damage still happens. There is no way you can prevent it completely from happening so you want a home insurance policy. Whether you currently have one or not, be sure to contact Alcorn Insurance Agency serving Centralia, IL for more information and to get a free quote.
Smart homeowners recognize the importance of preparing their home for winter. Winterizing a home not only takes the chill out of your indoor environment but can save you money on heating costs. The following tasks should be included in your winter prep plans.
Before winter hits in earnest, take the time to service your furnace. Professional cleaning and maintenance will keep your furnace operating at top capacity all winter long. Regular maintenance will also extend the lifeline of your furnace to keep it running efficiently longer.
Insulate your water pipes with foam insulation to keep them from freezing in winter. Pre-slit pipe insulation sleeves can be readily found in most hardware stores. Exposed water pipes will only cool down hot water as it passes through, wasting money on heat. By insulating pipes, you save on heating costs and reduce the risk of pipes bursting and causing interior and structural water damage. For added protection against the risk of water damage due to burst pipes, make sure you have water damage insurance coverage from Alcorn Insurance Agency in Centralia, IL.
Get ready to enjoy the warmth of your fireplace by scheduling your annual fireplace inspection at the onset of winter. A professional inspection should include checking and cleaning the chimney to make sure your fireplace is safe to use throughout the season.
Minimize drafts by caulking or weather-stripping windows and doors to seal leaks that allow cold air to seep into your home. If necessary, replace old, worn windows and doors that no longer provide the protection you need from severe cold. By upgrading windows and doors, you can create a warmer, more secure home environment.
Home winter prep includes updating home insurance coverage to meet your present needs. For more information on home insurance options, contact Alcorn Insurance Agency in Centralia, IL.
If you live in the city of Centralia, IL, you should make sure that you are familiar with home insurance as it operates in that city. You should know everything about your home insurance policy, and this applies some times more than others. It does apply a great deal during seasonal changes, which can be fairly extreme in the state of Illinois and can have an impact on your home.
There are things that you can do to prepare your home for the winter, however. For a comprehensive list of things to do, you should review your home insurance policy. This will tell you which types of damages are covered and which ones are not. Though there are several things that you should do around your home to be prepared, it is more important to take precautions against the events that will not be covered by home insurance.
One of the things that you should make sure to do is clean out the gutters and install gutter guards. If there is debris, such as sticks and leaves, clogging up the gutters, you can end up with ice damming, which is the result of the water being unable to go properly through the drainage system and ending up seeping into your house through the walls and ceiling when the debris prevents ice from being able to flow through. You should also make sure to repair handrails, steps, and holes and cracks in the walls and foundations. Indoors, you should make sure that your house is relatively warm and insulated, and that the pipes are not broken in any way.
If you live in Centralia, IL, you can benefit from contacting the professionals at Alcorn Insurance Agency and asking them about what you can do to make sure that your home is prepared for the winter. The agents at Alcorn Insurance Agency can answer any questions that you might have about home insurance and its importance in the Illinois winters.
Insuring a Loved One
People fall in love with their homes during the fall months. There is nothing better than coming home to a warm cup of mulled apple cider after a hard days work or a successful tailgating party. Coming in out of the cold renders visions of warmth, security and calm. It is what the residents of Centralia, Illinois dream of, work hard for and work hard toward. At Alcorn Insurance Agency we respect your logistic loved one. Your home. By helping you provide insurance protection for your home so that you can enjoy it worry free.
This Fall it is Important To…Have Fun While Checking Off a Few Important To Do’s
- Make certain that leaf removal is thorough and complete. Instead of the boring chore this typically is, make it a challenge for your family by taking plenty of pictures while you all work together keeping your surroundings leaf free. Have a "Leaf Challenge".by giving out rewards for the "cleanest corner of the property", or the "fastest leaf remover", etc.
- Putting away the lawn furniture can be another fun to-do list item. Most likely most of your neighbors are ticking off the same fall to-do list. why not join forces. An assembly line effort comprised of all of your neighbors will get those lawn chairs back in everyone’s storage shed faster than going it alone. After the lawn furniture is safe and secure in the shed have a Fun Fall Block Party of sorts featuring a pot luck dinner as a sort of farewell until spring gesture.
Whether you make your home in Centralia, Illinois or in the surrounding areas that we serve at Alcorn Insurance Agency, your fall to-do list can be fun. Why not give us a call to discuss your home insurance needs.
When you’re moving, it can very easy to blow through thousands of dollars without really knowing where it all went. Packing all of your possessions can take weeks, during which time you can find yourself running to the store on a daily basis for more supplies and other expenses. There are ways to save some money when you move, however. If you’re going to a new home in the near future, try these tips.
- Sell before you leave. About two months before you plan on moving, have a yard sale to get rid of items that are too expensive or difficult to move. For long moves, really think about the cost per pound to move various items in your home, versus how much it will cost to replace them.
- Clean out your closets. If you haven’t used something in a year, then you don’t need to move it. Try to sell it in your yard sale, or give it away to someone who can use it.
- Consider moving in stages. If you have a local move, consider overlapping your leases or mortgages so that you can move small items, such as kitchen gear, ahead of hiring a moving company for the big stuff. You’ll cut down on the amount you pay the moving company, and you can reuse your moving boxes. This method takes a lot of planning, but it can save you hundreds of dollars.
Of course, if you really need to save money, look towards the amount you pay for your homeowner’s insurance. Moving is a good time to look for a new policy. Call Alcorn Insurance Agency to get a quote for a new policy.